We know that you love coffee. As a matter of fact we love it too! So, if you are looking for the best coffee maker for your home to make sure that you have easy access to a piping hot cup of simmering coffee at any time of the day, you are finally at the right place. Apart from the love for coffee, this is another thing that is common between us.
|Single Cup Coffee Maker||Drip Coffee Maker||French Press Coffee Maker||Coffee Percolator||Espresso Coffee Maker||Auto Coffee Grinder|
We do know that with all the different types of coffee makers available in the market and innumerable options from multiple brands, the process of buying a new coffee maker can be very daunting and you might be looking for answers to what is the best coffee maker? Just like you, we too are searching for the best of coffee makers available in the market. To make the buying process simple and quick, we have done a lot of research, comparisons and went through hundreds of customer reviews to provide you with a list of best home coffee maker. And we have covered many different types of coffee makers to make sure that you are able to choose one based on your preferences.
So, let the journey of finding the best coffee makers begin.
Types of Coffee MakerLet us first have a look at the different types of coffee makers that we will be covering-
- Single Cup Coffee Maker
- Drip Coffee Maker
- Espresso Machine
- Press Coffee Maker
Moreover, apart from choosing the best, we’ll recommend a model across these categories that will provide you with the best bang for your bucks.
Best Single Cup Coffee Maker
As the name suggests, these home coffee makers only make a single cup of coffee at a time. They don’t have a coffee pot like many other types of coffee makers. People that are looking for a coffee maker that is convenient to use, easy to clean, cost efficient and offers fresh and delicious cup of coffee every single time can go for a single cup coffee maker.
Another great reason for choosing a single cup coffee maker is the variety that they offer to cater to your coffee-making creativity. These machines allow you to experiment with a variety of coffee drinks. They generally allow you to use many different types of coffee pods of single serve or cups which you can change between coffee cups or you can also combine different cups to invent your own coffee. Moreover, with so many different types of flavours and speciality coffee available, the possibilities can literally be endless with a single serve coffee maker.
- Easy to use and quick
- Cleaning is pretty easy as well
- Can be used to make a variety of beverages
- Some of them also allow you to make cold beverages
- Only produces the required amount of coffee to ensure nothing is wasted
- Generally not able to make very strong coffee
- Ones that use coffee pods can be costly to use over a long time
Best of the Best - Keurig K45 Elite
If you want us to recommend the best single cup coffee maker then our vote goes to the Keurig K45 Elite Brewing System. The coffee maker comes with a removable water reservoir, charcoal filter and best part is, apart from delicious coffee, you can also use this machine to make hot cocoa, tea, iced beverages and a lot more.
As the machine makes use of K-cups, it is able to make coffee quickly and cleaning is pretty simple. However, you will be required to clean this machine internally as well as externally on a regular basis to ensure that there is no build-up that can affect the taste of the coffee. Also, a lot of Keurig coffee maker reviews suggest that the coffee is pretty weak when large cup sizes are chosen.
Best Bang for the Bucks - Hamilton Beach 49981A
If you are looking for a value-for-money product, the Hamilton Beach 49981A Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker can be a great choice. Unlike other single cup coffee makers, this machine does not require coffee pods, capsules or discs, rather it is designed in the old-school way and needs ground coffee. While it is one of the most affordable single cup coffee maker, it still has pretty great features, like brewing speed of 2 minutes, adjustable tray, coffee strength selector, etc.
As per SCAA, the perfect brewing temperature is between 195 and 205 degree F. Many of the customers have reported that this machine brews coffee at temperatures between 192 and 203 degree F which is pretty close to the perfect brewing temperature of the SCAA. While the machine doesn’t have a lot of advanced feature, it does have a lot more than a machine in this price range should come with.
Best Drip Coffee Maker
Drip coffee makers are very commonly used at homes. They come with many different capacities of coffee pots, like 4 cups, 8 cups and even 12 cups. Many of these machines come with programmable features which make it very easy for the users to use these coffee makers. However, it is very commonly noted that the ones which come with a number of programmable features are not able to brew coffee at perfect temperatures. However, they make up for it with the convenience they bring to the coffee making process.
Also, most of the drip coffee makers on sale in the market come with a warming plate which does a great job of maintaining the temperature of the leftover coffee in the carafe. While a lot of experts mention that it is the French press coffee maker that makes better coffee than a drip coffee maker, a lot of people do not like the oily flavour that a French press adds to the coffee. On the other hand, drip coffee maker filters the oily flavour and offers delicious coffee.
- Very convenient
- Brews quickly and at perfect brewing temperature
- Programmable features
- Brew quality is very consistent
- Warming plate to maintain the temperature of the coffee
- Requires additional filters
- Generally the time for which coffee and water steep cannot be adjusted
Best of the Best - Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT 12-Cup
In this category, based on hundreds and thousands of best coffee maker reviews, we’ve chosen Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker. It is the best-selling drip coffee maker on Amazon for all the right reasons. The machine makes delicious cups of coffee and is loaded with a number of great features. And the best part is that the machine offers you with an abundance of choices. For instance, you can use a permanent mesh filter made from metal or paper filters and can also choose between glass and thermal carafe.
Apart from the features, this best automatic coffee maker also has pleasant aesthetics and is sure to enhance the appearance of your kitchen. Easy cleaning, auto-shutoff and warming plate are some other features of this machine.
Best Bang for the Bucks - Black & Decker DCM600B 5-Cup
If you want a reasonably priced yet efficient drip coffee maker, the Black & Decker DCM600B 5-Cup Coffee Maker is sure to impress you. This 5-cup capacity drip coffee maker comes with a Duralife carafe made from glass and has marking for water and coffee for enhanced accuracy. Instead of its highly affordable price tag, the machine is still able to brew coffee at perfect brewing temperature to ensure that you get piping hot and delicious cups of coffee every single time.
It has a water window and the unit is intelligently designed with a cord storage area for complete convenience. It uses a 1-4 cup style filter basket which you can easily remove for cleaning.
Best Espresso Machine
The next on our list of best home coffee maker is espresso machines. If you love drinking espressos, then buying an espresso machine for your home can be a cost-saving choice. More importantly, most of the coffee joints make it in a different way and if you are particular about the taste of your espresso, having a machine of your own is your only option.
However, when you are out looking for an espresso machine, there are some things that you should definitely know. For instance, these machines are available in four different types- semi-automatic, automatic, super-automatic and manual. Moreover, the models come with their own set of features, like built-in frothier, hot tray, built-in grinder, K-cup compatible, auto-shutoff, etc. Understand these features and your requirements before making a decision.
- Provides you with gourmet coffee
- Great way to make espressos at home and save money
- Adds a classy look to your kitchen
- Available with a number of programmable features
- Many of the coffee pot reviews mention that they are difficult to clean
- Slower than other types of coffee makers
- Brew can be very strong for some
Best of the Best - Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker
After comparing the features of many different models, we’ve chosen Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker as the best home coffee maker in this category. Apart from its compact, stylish and light weight build, one of the best things about this espresso machine is its reasonable price tag. It has a tank capacity of 700ml, which is not the largest, but still does a great job. Moreover, this top coffee makers tank also has a lid to avoid spillage.
It features a removable drip tray, built-in bin for the used pods, two programmable buttons for making espresso and lungo, and has a preheating time of only 25 seconds. Moreover, the machine is energy efficient and can automatically shutoff if not used for 9 minutes.
Best Bang for the Bucks - Mr. Coffee ECM160 4-Cup
For us, the best value-for-money product in this category is ECM160 4-Cup Steam Espresso Machine from Mr. Coffee. It feature a great frother which allows you to make delicious espressos as well as whips your cappuccinos and lattes to frothy, light perfection. The machine produces steam heat of high temperature and passes it through the filter to make sure that your espressos are rich and dark.
It comes with a glass carafe and has a capacity of making 4 cups of espressos at a time. You can also remove its drip catcher for easy cleaning. Moreover, the glass decanter of this unit features serving measurements for complete accuracy.
Best French Press Coffee Maker
If you want your best home coffee maker to produce strong coffee and don’t want to spend a lot of money on the machine, a French press coffee maker is for you. It is one of the most commonly used coffee makers all over the globe and is also known by many different names, like plunger pot, coffee press, press pot, coffee pots, etc.
Moreover, as these coffee makers are generally compact and light in weight, they are very commonly used for camping purposes. The functioning of these small coffee maker is pretty simple. All you need to do is pour the required amount of ground coffee in the pot, followed by hot water. Stir the water to allow the coffee to infuse with it. Now all you have to do is pres the plunger and your coffee is ready.
- Can prepare strong coffee
- Easily portable and durable
- Easy to clean
- Can be used to brew other hot beverages, like tea, herbal tea, etc.
- Allows you to control brewing time and temperature
- Does not need electricity
- No automatic features
- Time consuming
- Needs a bit of practice to get the desired results
- No carafe for keeping the coffee hot
Best of the Best - Kona French Press
If you are searching for a true performer in this category, Kona French Press Coffee, Tea and Espresso Maker can be an excellent choice. This French press machine allows you to extract and brew any whole bean coffee, loose tea and essential oils into its large 8-cup glass pitcher. The outer shell of this coffee maker is insulated, whereas, its pitcher is made from extra thick borosilicate glass.
The compact unit is made from BPA-free and is also dishwasher safe. The stainless steel filter of this unit is removable for enhanced convenience. With a reasonable price tag, this French press coffee maker from Kona is undoubtedly a great buy.
Best Bang for the Bucks - Triple Filter 8-Cup
If we talk about a French press coffee maker that offers best bang for your bucks, it certainly has to be the Triple Filter 8-Cup French Press from Utopia Kitchen. The coffee maker can brew up to 8 cups of coffee at a time and can be used to make coffee and tea. Its carafe is made from heat-resistant and durable borosilicate glass and its liner is made from BPA-free plastic to make sure that the lid doesn’t get very hot.
It is undoubtedly one of the best inexpensive coffee maker and is innovatively designed to ensure that none of the plastic gets in touch with your coffee. The unit also has feet made from metal to ensure that the machine doesn’t wobble. The coffee maker has triple filter screen system to perfectly eliminate the acids and oils from the coffee beans and provide you with delicious coffee.
Percolator are the oldest types of coffee makers but have made an excellent comeback in the recent years. While the electric models have limited capacity and variety, they are known for their ability to brew full-bodied and richer coffee as compared to drip models. The percolators which are designed for stove top use, like the stainless steel, tin and glass models are very popular with coffee lovers who like to percolate coffee grounds for long.
However, if you want the best home coffee maker, an electric percolator can be a great choice. They are available in various capacities of up to 12 cups and even more. However, one important thing about percolators is the fact that you will need a bit of experience with hem to get the perfect results.
- Easy to use
- Brews delicious coffee
- Easy cleaning
- Time efficient
- Reasonably priced
- Ideal for large gatherings
- Limited number of advanced features
- Needs a bit of practice to get best results
This is where we finish this list of best home coffee makers and let you decide the one you want. But wait, we have more. We just don’t want you to buy the best coffee maker, we also want to make sure that you are actually able to make delicious coffee with them. As a result, we have listed some of the most important factors that can affect the flavour of your brewed coffee as well the considerations that are important while choosing a coffee maker.
Factors that Affect the Brewed Coffee Flavour
- Bean Variety and Roast - The flavour of the coffee is highly affected by the plant species of the coffee and where it originates. On the other hand, coffee beans’ roast also plays an integral role. The beans that are dark roasted are known to create full bodied and richer coffee as compared to the lightly-roasted varieties.
- Extraction - This is the process in which water is made to pass through the grounds to extract the flavours and oils from them and make sure that it dissolves in water. Extraction degree is equal to the weight of coffee grounds that are dissolved in water.
- Strength - A brews strength is equal to the total amount of solids that are dissolved in the coffee. Moreover, it is also the measurement for coffee concentration. It can be watery or strong.
- Brew Ratio - It is the comparison of water in the pot and amount of coffee grounds. The brew ratio multiplied with the extraction will give you the strength of the coffee.
Coffee Maker Selection Factors
- Cup Capacity- If you live along and hardly have friends and guests at home, there is no need for you to go for a 12-cup capacity best home coffee maker. Similarly, if you have a large family, you will need a coffee maker that can keep up with your large coffee requirements.
- Size- If you don’t have a lot of space in your kitchen, make sure that you check the dimensions of the coffee maker you are about to buy. But if you do have a large kitchen, don’t shy away from choosing a larger, aesthetically pleasing model.
- Strength Functions- There are many coffee makers that allow you to choose between regular and bold coffee strengths. This can be very helpful if you prefer a particular strength of coffee.
- How easy is it to clean? This is one of the most important factors while choosing a coffee maker as if the cleaning is complicated and you don’t do it regularly, there can be a build-up inside the machine that can affect the taste of the coffee. So, make sure that the machine is easy to clean.
- How durable is it? While coffee makers are generally very durable, it is still important to check the materials that have been used to create it. Remember that it should have a durable build but should not be very heavy.
- Mug Size- If you have a favourite coffee mug which is pretty tall in height, make sure that the best home coffee maker you choose is able to accommodate it. Or else, you’ll be required to change your favourite cup.
We are sure that we have provided you with some great options and information about best home coffee maker and you will put this information to good use. To know more about the above mentioned models, you can check their reviews available on our website that will further make it easier for you to choose a model that will perfectly suit your requirements.