A perfect morning starts with a perfectly made cup of coffee. Coffee is one drink which is adored by almost everyone. Once you get hooked to the habit of drinking coffee it is not easy to get rid of it. A cup of coffee a day makes a coffee lover’s mood every day. If you are a die-hard coffee fan, then you must try these types of coffee to make your coffee drinking experience worthwhile!
What are Espresso Based Drinks?
Espresso based beverages are those which have an espresso, steamed milk and foam as a main ingredient. Espresso based drinks are made using an espresso machine and the core difference between them and others is the proportion of steamed milk, espresso and the foam.
Although in some coffees there is an extra topping of chocolate or flavored cream to complete them but in essence each espresso-based drink has the same main elements.
Espresso Drink Recipes: Though there are many types of coffee, even an espresso has several recipes but a simple and easy way to make an espresso drink is discussed below:
2-2.5 oz. espresso (Double shot)
2.5 oz. frothed milk
2.5 oz. steamed milk
Method: First, place the espresso in the cup, followed by the steamed milk and then add the frothed milk. Be careful of the ratios as an espresso drink has equal ratios of all ingredients.
You can add vanilla ice cream, chocolate, hazel nuts, flavorings etc. to your drink to make it more delightful.
Types of coffee
- Espresso (Short Black): A short black coffee is a shot of coffee which is 30ml in volume it is the base of any espresso drink. A short black is named short black as it is just an espresso shot with no extra water which is normally added apart when the coffee is brewed. The color of short black coffee as the name suggests is black since no milk is added to it.
- Double Espresso (Doppio): Doppio is an Italian term, meaning double. As the name depicts, a double espresso is simply two espresso shots in one cup. For Doppio, 2.5 or less ounces are served in a traditional demitasse cup.
- Short Macchiato: Short Macchiato or Short Mat is an espresso (Short Black) served in a demitasse cup with a smirch of foam on the top. A shot mat has a blob of steamed milk and foam to dilute the strong bitter taste of short black.
- Long Macchiato: Just like short mat, a long mat is almost the same except for the fact that it has double espresso shot. It also has a smudge of milk and foam like short mat. you can make three beautiful layers of dolloped steam milk on the espresso and then slowly turn the cup to mix the milk with espresso.
- Ristretto: It is an espresso shot which has the exact amount of coffee but with half amount of water. It is a more concentrated, deeper and darker espresso extraction.
- Long Black (Americano): An Americano (commonly known as Long Black coffee) is prepared with hot water and espresso. An espresso shot is poured over the hot water
- Café Latte: Also known as ‘Latte’ is a type of espresso based drink. Latte has steamed milk and micro-foam extracted to the coffee. It is quite sweeter as compared to short black since it has steamed milk.
- Cappuccino: It is quite similar to Latte, but the main difference between the both is that cappuccino has more foam and chocolate as compared to Latte on the top of the drink. A cappuccino is made in a demitasse cup rather than tumbler glass.
- Flat White: It is prepared the same way as cappuccino except that it is void of any chocolate or foam on its top. It is inherently found in Australia and New Zealand.
- Piccolo Latte: It is made in an espresso cup which gives it a very strong but a tendered espresso tastes due to the steamed milk and foam extracted in it. It can be made with either one ristretto shot or one espresso shot.
- Mocha: A mocha is an intermediate between a cappuccino and hot chocolate. It is prepared by mixing chocolate powder with one espresso shot and then by adding steamed milk and foam into the drink.
- Affogate: It is a dessert coffee which is usually served as a treat during summers and after dinner. It is prepared by adding a big scoop of vanilla ice cream to a single or double (as preferred) shot of espresso.
After having a sound knowledge of these amazing types of coffee one must definitely try them and relish with each of its own unique taste.